Saturday, June 10, 2006

about the name

where is home? where are you from? to where do you belong?? believe it or not, those questions are good paper-writing materials in our field... well, at least for me it was. i still have two more papers to do before, hopefully before, i leave town next week (oh wait, it's THIS week!). ahhh... i don't know why i'm still procrastinating, but i thought it's important for me to tell you about "josh a-way home" before i leave. there are four contributing factors to the name...

those of you who are from vancouver might have picked up that i borrowed the name from thai away home, a great take-out restaurant i often visited. yes, i do miss vancouver, and chances are that i'll be heading back after i graduate. so yea, i guess i consider vancouver a home.

my classmates who were at the equity forum last year might recall the opening chant by a circle of people from the aboriginal community. the lyrics to the song was a repeating "away away, away away away away". now seriously, i don't know if they were saying "awei" or "aqeh" or whatever it was, and i never did ask anyone about the meaning behind it. but to me, it speaks of a people coming together, and perhaps even going back to their roots. so in that sense, i do want to explore my cultural heritage as i continue to write at this site, and maybe even to learn from the "other" about myself as i travel onwards.

thirdly, those who have been following my henri nouwen entries might have picked up that his book finding my way home: pathways to life and the spirit has also made an influence in my naming of this site. it's about a journey of seeking and finding the god of love.

finally my fourth point is a combination of my first three points, but i figured i should call it a new point cuz i'm introducing eugene peterson and his take & eat concept on spirituality. yes, i love eating! and as i'll be on the road for the next many months, i figured that i'll be eating out quite a lot! so yea, maybe i'll even use this site as a food review & guide of some sort! :D

so yes, please consider journeying with me!

***
which world cup team are you cheering for??

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Hey Josh.
Good post. I don't really know where my home is but I'll journey with you. And eat stuff along the way. Yeah, that sounds good.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Roger said...

josh, hope your studies and reflections are intriguing and fulfilling. Vancouve misses you too, as does LGC. peace!

12:40 AM  
Blogger jana* said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:29 PM  
Blogger jana* said...

i don't think any of us are really home yet, no matter where we are. at least, i'd like to think that i won't be Home for awhile yet. there's work to be done in the meantiime.

as for the world cup, TOGO and USA!!! i know i know.... not my fault canada didn't make it! and since i know nothing about soccer (or football around here) i am easily influence by those around me. although i have to say usa played a pretty bad game against czech rep. are they always this bad?? togo was great against korea yesterday, but i guess the wind just wan't blowing their way..... the togolese guys at our church are confident they'll come back.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Yan Yan the Pig Farmer said...

Hi, Josh,
I don't have any thought/comment on the home coming discussion at this moment.
Just want to drop by and say "hi".
Keep on posting :)

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home